Wednesday 10 February 2016

Zee Classic to premiere Bimal Roy’s Do Bigha Zamin


Renowned filmmaker Ashutosh Gowariker expressing his views on the film said, “The first film I saw of Bimal Da was Do Bigha Zamin. I remember loving it immensely. And, that’s when I realised the full impact of the social comment of the film. I think every film of his has got a blend of a social or a moral message mixed with entertainment. In my opinion, this is a very difficult combination to achieve which he did successfully over and over again. That is something I try to emulate. The similarity between the opening of Do Bigha Zamin and Lagaan is not a co-incidence. It is an opening which had given me an expressional joy which a farmer can feel when he sees the advent of rain. I can also never forget the music of Do Bigha Zamin.”
Do Bigha Zamin is a story of Shambhu Maheto (Balraj Sahani), a poor farmer and his family in a small village. After years of famine, the advent of rain spreads a wave of joy throughout the region. However, a landlord, Thakur Harnam Singh (Murad) wants to capture Shambhu’s land to set up a mill in the village.